Well that was a bit of a long day. But still awesome. Random thoughts from the ride:
- The climb over Tesla is awesome – doesn’t feel like much of a climb. Only hits maybe 9/10% in a brief spot or two.
- The Tesla decent towards 580 is amazing! Has to be the steepest decent in the area, short of maybe Diablo. Then it hits this epic 1 to 2% decline for what seems forever. You can just pump away at a good clip all the way to 580; seriously – like over 10 miles.
- The east-side climb of Patterson Pass seems significantly tougher than the west side approach. And it feels longer, so much longer.
- The wind and long boring stretches in Tracy are demoralizing. By far, the low point of the route.
- This is about as long as I’ll ever ride I think (except if I ever train for an ironman); while I felt decent the entire time, all my devices started dying! Solid 5 hours out there is tough on battery juice.
- Views from the top of Patterson’s pass are great – here is a short vid. The video quality doesn’t do it justice; the camera isn’t picking up on the perspective or magnitude of the scenery. Must see in person.
That’s it – day 5 is an off day! I’m zonked!